Carbon Capture, Utilization & Storage (CCUS) Certifications
Whether injecting into depleted hydrocarbon-bearing formations or into regionally-extensive aquifers, NSAI has the expertise to certify the subsurface aspects of your carbon capture project. NSAI has:
- Geological staff that are experts at seismic interpretation and integration of well data to map formations and understand their storage capacity
- Reservoir engineering teams that are experts in dynamic modeling, with a deep understanding of fluid flow and the processes involved in CO2 storage and CO2 for enhanced recovery
- Specialized economic modeling software and capabilities to accurately quantify project value
SPE Storage Resources Management System
NSAI has prepared thousands of reports using the Petroleum Resources Management System (PRMS) for upstream oil and gas project assessment, which parallels the SPE’s CO2 Storage Resources Management System (SRMS) in many ways. While “Storage Capacity” in the SRMS replaces “Reserves” in the PRMS, volumetric and modeling techniques are similar for production vs. storage. Commerciality of projects is a key aspect of the SRMS:
- Storage fees
- Tax credits
- Government subsidies
- Coupled with revenue- and CO2-generating project
NSAI’s time-tested processes for evaluating project technical and economic aspects are highly respected in the investor community.
Gas Storage and Area of Review Evaluations
NSAI is an industry leader in gas storage evaluations in North America. We have worked over 40 storage projects for 20 clients, assisting in area of review (AoR) updates, well planning, identifying and resolving wellbore issues, field studies, litigation, and more. We have expertise in studies to support initial permitting and ongoing regulatory obligations, as well as a thorough understanding of all storage containment issues:
- Regional geology characterization and local geologic structural mapping
- Characterization of storage reservoir properties from log, core, and fluid data
- Definition of AoR based on static and dynamic simulation modeling
- Identification of potential leakage pathways and required corrective action through wellbore review
- Integration of injection performance and other surveillance data into model updates
Geologic and Simulation Model Expertise
Since relatively few carbon sequestration projects are online to use as analogs, the subsurface assessments of these projects rely heavily on reservoir simulation. Geoscience and engineering teams collaborate to build geocellular models and upscale for dynamic simulation of storage reservoirs. NSAI has built hundreds of models and has efficient, fit-for-purpose workflows that can tailor a model to the specific needs of a client. These models can provide insight into key reservoir uncertainties pre-injection or deep insight into storage mechanisms once history-matched to performance data.
To talk to one of our Carbon Capture experts, call Akshay Jayaram in our Dallas office at 214-969-5401 or Joe Mello in our Houston office at 713-654-4950. We can also be contacted by email at email@example.com for more information.